Oct 26, 2008

Feature: Toxic Goddess Selkie


MySpace
Toxic Goddess


ChestWaistHipsHeightWeight
Imperial34"27"34"5"6'125lb
Metric86cm69cm86cm169cm57kg

GGotW: What got you started as a model?
TGS: I had a waitressing job in college that wasn’t paying the bills and saw an ad for an artist’s model. I have an adventurous streak – I like trying most anything new – so I went for it... even though it meant getting naked in the middle of the woods with a stranger! Modeling is fun so I’ve kept it up. I like making art.

GGotW: Are you still a waitress or have you found other employment since then?
TGS: Oh, heavens, no. Like I said… that didn’t even pay the bills. I wasn’t a waitress for long. I’ve done many things since then.

GGotW: Why alternative modeling?
TGS: I feel there’s more room for collaborative creativity in alternative modeling. In art modeling the artist usually has a pre-made image in his head for the model to mimic, and in glamour modeling people seem to have specific expectations. Those who turn to alternative modeling are actively looking for something different, whether it’s outrageous outfits, unusual models, or intriguing subject matter. Alternative modeling gives me the opportunity to play a character rather than just be a pretty face, let’s me dress and pose and interact with the camera however I like. There’s a lot more variation in alternative modeling so that it never feels like the same old thing. Alternative modeling also fits my personality better. It can’t be stuffed into a neat little box… neither can I.

GGotW: What got you started as a Toxic Goddess?
TGS: I was exposed to the work of our photographers, Dirk Hooper and Robert Henry, because they are local artists. Their work really grew on me over time, and the more of it I saw the more I understood and respected their vision. They also have an impeccable reputation for being great guys to work with so I placed an application through Dirk’s website. In it, I said “Tie me up – you know you want to!” He took me up on the offer and it’s been a wonderful working relationship ever since.

GGotW: What are your quirks?
TGS: I think I have a lot of them-or so I am told. I don’t have a good sense of what is normal and what is not – it’s almost as bad as my sense of social politics. But for what it’s worth I know the following are quirks. I hiccup. A lot. I think of buildings as though they are people and seriously feel sorry for them when they’re neglected. I have an addiction to attending classes on any subject. I adore insects. And I think nipples look like eyeballs.

GGotW: What is the Goth scene in Oklahoma like?
TGS: There are plenty of Goths in Oklahoma but there aren’t a lot of hang-outs for alternative life-stylists around here. As a result you’ll find diverse crowds of those who live outside of the box. The Goths, punks, metalheads, emos, and others are often found together wherever they feel welcome. It works out fine. There’s mutual respect.

GGotW: Are there any meets in Oklahoma or local clubs?
TGS: There are small meet-up groups, but I am not involved in these so I can’t tell you much about them.

GGotW: What can you tell the readers about Toxic Goddess?
TGS: Toxic Goddess is not about standardized beauty or ordinary photography. Our photographers are experienced and educated, and the models go through a selective process to become a Toxic Goddess. Toxic Goddesses are not chosen because they are the prettiest girls on the block but because they are confident, creative, and actively contribute to the Toxic Goddess project in their own unique way. Our photos are not air-brushed to perfection. We’re real people, and we’re out to prove that reality is sexy and lovely. It’s the truth. Someone’s got to preach it.

GGotW: What is your role in Toxic Goddess?
TGS: I’ve been with Toxic Goddess since 2006 and am among the more senior pantheon members. I was a Toxic Goddess before we had a pay website! Every Toxic Goddess finds her own niche. I have turned out to be the goddess who usually gets to play the most outlandish roles for the shoots – I get to play fantasy and sci-fi characters, as well as do crazy things like eat toy ducks. It’s great fun. I’m also the director of the brand-new Toxic Goddess Burlesque! Our debut was Oct. 25th after OKC’s annual Ghouls Gone Wild Parade. If anyone is in town, you should all come!

GGotW: If you lived in another age when would it be?
TGS: I’m not altogether certain that I haven’t, or that I’d get to choose the time period. But spiritual suppositions aside… I really can’t say for sure. I like history and I have a fondness for many eras, including the Iron Age Celts, the Age of Discovery, the Victorian Era, and our own 60s-70s.

GGotW: What would you do in that other age?
TGS: I think I would have loved having been a sailor or navigator on an exploration voyage or trade route, back in the days of beautiful masted ships. I’ve always felt an unexplainable tug towards that.
I’d also be interested in just being a simple Celtic towns person, just to see how it lives up to expectations. I have a strong suspicion that lack of technology does not make life simple and pure, but I’m curious enough to try it out. I’ve also always been drawn towards that culture so it would be nice to be a part of it.

GGotW: What makes you happy to live in this age?
TGS: I’m honestly happy to just be alive. I’m sure that would apply to living in any era. Now and here, however, we’re fortunate to be blessed with not only a living environment that allows us to reach an old age, but also the opportunity to make of your life what you will. We are afforded many freedoms and luxuries… despite what advertising tries to teach us.

GGotW: What can one do to worship a goddess like you?
TGS: Each can worship in their own ways; we love our fans. Of course some of the best flattery is to pay homage at the Altar by joining the pay portion of our website, however any sincere fan is always appreciated. We can be found on Myspace and can be seen at appearances and performances, and we each have an Amazon wish list on our webpages for anyone who'd like to help us with outfits or props for shoots.




Click on the images that appear with the article to see larger versions. Please feel free to leave comments below, you don't need to be a member to leave comments.

No comments: